You don’t need to be a master chef or baker to make these summer recipes! Here are four great and healthy summer recipes that everyone will enjoy.
1. Appetizer: Grilled Tomato Bruschetta
Healthy and flavorful appetizer to munch on while the real food is still on the grill or in the oven. All you need is some olive oil, a few tomatoes, some spices, and your favorite bread. Find the full recipe at: http://www.marthastewart.com/315421/grilled-tomato-bruschetta?czone=food/best-grilling-recipes/grilling-recipes
2. The Vegetable: Zucchini Parmesan Crisps
A tastey vegetable snack or sidedish for zucchini lovers and others. Now, I’m not a huge zucchini fan, but this is a recipe I can get behind. They are slyly healthful and taste like fried food (but they’re baked!). You need zucchini, parmesan, breadcrumbs, olive oil, kosher salt, and ground pepper. For the full instructions to this delicious recipe, visit: http://bakehouse.squarespace.com/home/2011/7/20/zucchini-parmesan-crisps.html
3. Main Dish: Tomato Basil Chicken and Balsamic Orzo
A refreshing chicken dish for an outdoor dinner. Its packed with flavor but nothing “out there” that the picky eaters in the family won’t enjoy. This recipe makes 8 to 10 side dish servings or 3-4 meal servings.
- 1 ½ cups dried orzo pasta
- About 1 ¼ pounds firm ripe tomatoes, at room temperature- these can be Roma, Cherry, or Beefsteak tomatoes, as you prefer. Note: quantities of tomato vary slightly depending on type used.
- ¾ cups chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (and a splash extra for the chicken)
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- About ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and Pepper
- Pour water in a pan and bring to boil. Add orzo and cook until barely tender, about 8 to 10 minutes
- While waiting for pasta, rinse and core tomatoes. Chop them and place them in a large bowl with the chopped basil, olive oil, and vinegar, mixing together.
- Wash and chop chicken in to bite-size pieces. Pour olive oil in to a pan with a pinch of the minced garlic and let it start to fry. Sauté chicken in a pan with olive oil and garlic. When completely cooked, remove from heat and let cool for 3-4 minutes, then add to the bowl of tomatoes.
- Drain pasta well, rinse, and add to the bowl. Add cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or cold.
4. Dessert: Homemade Fruit Popsicles
This recipe is so easy. All you need to do is pour your preferred juice flavor (I like a combination pomegranate and lemonade) and cut fruit of your choice into popsicle molds (easily found at Target or cooking stores). Then put the molds in the freezer and wait until solid before enjoying!